Sunday, May 5, 2013

I Don't Understand Liquor Laws

In Plano (my city), next weekend you can vote to allow liquor stores. I will probably go in to vote yes. I'm not fundamentally opposed to laws aimed at discouraging/reducing the consumption of alcohol; I believe that, overall, the world would be a better place if alcohol did not exist. But the current liquor laws seem really stupid...

Like many cities around here, in Plano we currently cannot have liquor stores. But a nearby city does, so if I really want to buy some liquor to have at home, I just have to drive further to buy it. Hopefully a desperate alcoholic doesn't decide that longer drive is too long to wait before getting home to start drinking. But what's much dumber IMO is this law combined with the fact that restaurants can serve liquor. At a liquor store you have to buy your liquor, go home, and then drink. The difference with restaurants is just that you have to drink before you go home. Great! How is this not, in effect, increasing drunk driving? Is there something I'm missing here?

No comments:

Post a Comment