Sunday, March 18, 2012

Becoming Republican

I originally wrote this as part of my previous post: Book Plug: Launching The Innovation Renaissance. But this went off-topic and seemed like it should be its own thing...

Reality is complicated, and trying to reduce all politics to the one-dimensional left/right scale can't represent all the possible solutions to the world's various problems very well. I'm a Democrat in that I see them as the best option available, not the best option possible. And not because I'm ideologically opposed to all things "conservative". The parties do change over time, so I often wonder in what ways they could change where I would start to lean more Republican. And some of the ideas in Launching The Innovation Renaissance are a direction the Republican party could potentially go over time that could win my vote.

I don't understand the less-govt-everywhere-except-more-in-the-military mentality that currently dominates the Republican party. It scares me when Santorum acts like we should base our government on his religion. It scares me when Ron Paul talks about economics. And I do believe the government should redistribute money to reduce poverty. But I could support a platform of reducing welfare+defense so that we could invest more in R&D and education. And I wish that political party existed.

No comments:

Post a Comment